08 Jan 2019 -The First Days at DBML!!

So far, it has been an adventure here at Discovery Bay Marine Lab, Jamaica. From arriving and seeing the sites, to finding a Crested Gecko in our bathroom, already this experience has been unforgettable. Today, we started what we all had been waiting to do since arriving on the island: snorkeling. With our class, we finally entered the water to see all the marine life located here. After, a couple of my friends and I went out by ourselves for the first time since we were so excited. This second trip was exhilarating as it was the first time in the water on our own, within bounds and regulations of course.

Me with the Cushion Sea Star at the end of our adventure. Credit to Siobhan. 4:00 pm 1-7-19

During this snorkel, we found a few fun organisms, including a Queen Conch, Strombus gigas, and a Cushion Sea Star, Oreaster reticalatus, towards the end of our swim. Holding the sea star in my hand and feeling its tube feet on my hand was incredible. Although these are ‘typical’ organisms one would think of when searching the waters of a tropical island like Jamaica, finding these animals and holding them in our hands was such an amazing experience and it definitely made me excited for the next two weeks.

-Ann Marie

One thought on “08 Jan 2019 -The First Days at DBML!!