15 Jan 2019 – Jamaican Me Crazy!

There’s about four more days left of this journey and tensions are a bit high. We are all a little bit irritable because of all the assignments due and upcoming examinations. There’s been a higher frequency of arguments between the students this week. I guess we are driving each other a bit crazy lately. Memorizing the scientific names and identifying dozens of species can put a lot of people under pressure and I totally understand that. However, I really wish people weren’t so stressed. I mean, we are in Jamaica! Peace, love, and respect, mon! In retrospect, we have had so many great adventures. I’ve gotten awesome footage of climbing waterfalls and snorkeling over reefs. I’ve been making so many great friends and meeting many different new people. The employees working at Discovery Bay Marine Lab are probably some of the nicest people I’ve ever met, a lot nicer than people I’ve met in New York City!

I am kind of sad that this adventure is coming to an end. I’ve been having so much fun. I am very happy to be going home, though. I miss my friends, my family, and my dogs so much. However, I am not missing the snow! It’ll probably take me a while to adjust back to the cold weather, but at least I’ll have a nice tan to last me throughout the rest of the harsh winter! I am very thankful to have had this experience. Although I might feel a little bit stressed now, I know that in a few months I will look back and only remember the great times I had on this trip. Maybe someday I will come back to Jamaica and be able to impress my friends and family with my extensive knowledge of Tropical Marine Ecology!

Here is a picture of a sponge with my friends Lucas, Avocado Andrew and Asparagus Andrew in the background.

– Emily

One thought on “15 Jan 2019 – Jamaican Me Crazy!