Philip Setzer: My Side of the Story

Emerson Quartet Violinist Philip Setzer Recounts Tense Trip to Taipei

Stony Brook Violin Professor Philip Setzer is a founding member of the world-renowned Emerson String Quartet, Stony Brook University’s Quartet-in-Residence. Below he tells the story of his recent hectic trip to Taipei, determined to make music in the midst of a global pandemic.

Phil setzer
Philip Setzer

So, here’s what I remember.  I left my house in New Jersey at 8:30 pm on July 15th, five hours before my flight was to depart JFK for Taipei, at 1:25 am.  I had ordered a sanitized stretch limo in order to be absolutely safe, sitting all the way in the back seat with a partition between the driver and me.  I had on two masks and goggles.  I didn’t wear gloves, but had plenty of hand sanitizer with me.  I kept the masks on for the ride, but, in a fit of bravery, I confess I took off my goggles.  We reached the airport quickly, arriving at 9:30.  I put on my goggles, grabbed a bottle of water, which was included in the steep price of the limo, and ventured out into the wilds of the airport.  There was a group of young people standing by the entrance.  No one was wearing a mask and they looked at me like I was completely nuts.

Read the rest here: https://news.stonybrook.edu/facultystaff/violin-virtuoso-phil-setzer-recounts-hair-raising-trip-to-taipei/